January 2012 Newsletter
- A new year and so many projects to start. Come join us for lots of fun and new ideasfor gifts and home decorating. We havefabrics and yarns to whet your appetite and patterns and ideas to put them touse. If there is something we don'thave let us know and we'll do our best to get it.
- FYI :
- Tuesdays you will seeSheila McClain at the counter. Sheilahis a long time quilter from Charles City and also works at ACE Hardware. Come in and get to know her and she'll helpyou with your needs.
- Wednesdays you will find Joy Frank at the counter. Joy has taughtlots of Stitches... classes this year, including beginning quilting, Block ofthe Month, and more plus she is quite the knitter making, socks, cowls,scarves, and many other unique items. She can help you with either your yarn or fabric projects.
- New Fabrics :
- Ginny Beyer Palette Bolts of tone on tone prints
- Susan Branch : Friends (For a darling child's quilt)
- Minky Dots in several colors : great for quiltbacks 60" widthNew fleece prints for a new winter tie blanket
- New Yarns :
- Boutique Eclipse Yarn (wool, acrylic, nylon)
- In beautiful colorsWindow yarn in 4 colors (to make those necklacesand other great items
Pom Pom MakersTu Tu Yarn (makes up into a great ruffled scarf)
Upcoming classes & events :·
- Thursday, January 5th -4:30pm Double Wedding Ring class·
- Wednesday, January 11th -5:30pm Tatting with Joyce·
- Wednesday, January 11th -6:30pm Signs of the Seasons Block ofthe Month 1st session·
- Thursday, January 12th -3:30pm Sylvia's Bridal Sampler Block of the Month 1st session·
- Saturday, January 14th10am-5pm Mission Sewing (Hospital Gowns for Haiti, Guatemala, &Mexico -call for details)·
- January 20-22 Cabin FeverWeekend - Quilt-A-Thon with Joy @ Stitches... see * below for details · Saturday, January 28th - Knittingwith Gigi at the Charles City Library (time TBA) books, yarn, needles, etc.available at Stitches...
- Knitting Class Project for January will be SocksCome knit a pair with us. We will have a pattern, needles, and yarn ina kit or you can choose you own and special individual instruction will be available on Thursdays from 6-8pm or Fridays from 3-5pm; come and get your Christmas projects startedin January. Everyone loves a pair ofhand knit socks.
Okay, ladies, let’s havesome fun for a whole weekend or any part thereof.
I found a great pattern for a scrappy quiltthat can be completed during the weekend.
We have a sample in the store. You use your scraps or fat quarters to complete this quilt.
You will need off-whites or beigetone-on-tone prints plus all of the leftovers or fat quarters you have stashedaway and waiting for something to be done. Of course, if you don’t have any, come on into Stitches and we can fix you up with your supplies.
We will start @ 5 pm onFriday, January 20 and sew as long as you want – midnight sounds good!
Saturday, January 21, we will start @ 9 am and once again, go as long as we want. If we don’t get finished on Saturday, we will do again on
Sunday starting @ 10 am and going to about 4 pm. It will cost you only $5.00 per session or $15.00 for the wholeweekend. Bring you own sewing equipment,including machine, mat, cutter and iron. An extension cord will be useful. We do have an ironing board but I would recommend you bring your ownpressing board – this is a ½ inch plywood, 18 x 24 inches with one piece ofbatting and one piece of muslin turned under to the back and stapled down. Let'shave some fun.